[ic] Plesk/Interchange/MySQL Draft Installation Directions

Justin Bonds interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 02:08:01 2001

The following are my draft installation directions (which have required
three installations - so it's either finished or NEARLY complete) for
getting the versatile e-commerce application Red Hat Interchange
(http://interchange.redhat.com) and the easy-to-use web hosting software -
Plesk (http://www.plesk.com) working together with MySQL as the database.
The configuration that I'm describing is based on Red Hat Linux 7.1, Red Hat
Interchange 4.8.3 and Plesk 2.x with the available patches.  Red Hat Linux
and Interchange can be freely downloaded and Plesk can as well - but
anything past 1 domain license requires a Key which may be purchased
directly from Plesk.  However, multiple Interchange stores can run under one
domain name.  In addition, I'm running an AMD 500 MHZ system with 384 MB
RAM.  Many of these directions may sound basic (I've basically just copied
my installation notes and so, of course, change the settings to your time
zone and language) - but I've tried to give you as many details about my
installation so as to avoid possible problems.  Prior to installation, you
should download Red Hat Linux 7.1 from http://www.redhat.com/ - Plesk
Version 2.0 Standard (and the available STANDARD patches) from
http://www.plesk.com/ - along with all of the files that I used to install
the required CPAN modules, Interchange applications, etc. from
http://www.hypertech.net/justin/interchange.zip
NOTE:  This is, as you can see, in zip format and so I find it easier to
download it to a MS Windows machine, unzip it using http://www.winzip.com/
and then burn all of the files within it (leave the tar files as is) along
with the Plesk downloads (Remember - download the Plesk STANDARD 2.x
installation and patches (they will say standard)) to a CD.

- Place the Red Hat Linux 7.1 CD into the computer and power on the system.
- Choose Enter to install new Red Hat version
- Choose English and next
- Choose Keyboard options and next
- Choose Mouse options and next
- Choose next to the Welcome screen
- Choose Server and then next
- Choose Automatic partition and next
- Uncheck DHCP, leave Activate on boot checked
- Type the TCP/IP address that you want to use - example 12.22.23.30
- Type the NetMask - many times it is in the form 255.255.255.0
- Enter the Network - example 12.22.23.0
- Enter the Broadcast - example 12.22.23.255
- Enter the Hostname - example interchange
- Enter the Gateway - example 12.22.23.1
- Enter the Primary and Secondary DNS - (ask your Administrator for the Name
Servers)
- Ternary - may be left blank
- Next
- Choose No firewall and Next
- Choose English (USA) and Next
- Choose Time and Next
- Enter Root password and Confirm password
- Enter an Account Name such as Administrator, the Full Name of the
Administrator with a password and then confirm the password, Next
- Choose X Windows System, GNOME, Samba Server (useful for talking with MS
Windows), and choose the Select Individual Packages option and Next
- Choose Applications, File, and Tree
- Choose Applications, System and Samba-Swat
- Next
- Choose Video card and next
- Choose Monitor (default works a lot of times) and Next
- Choose Color and Screen Resolution, Login- Graphical, Test Setting to make
sure monitor/video card settings work and Next
- Next to install the files
- When asked, stick in Red Hat Linux Disk #2
- Choose skip boot creation and click Next
- Choose Exit and when it reboots, remove CD
- Login with root and then the password
- Place the CD with the burned files (mentioned at the top) into the CD-ROM
and GNOME should open the CD with all of the files listed.  Copy all of
these files to the /root directory.
- Open GNOME terminal - Start, Programs, System, GNOME Terminal and make
sure you're in the /root directory
- Install the Plesk files - the main program first, of course, and then the
patches in order.  To install these Plesk files, you may have to type
tar -xf filenamehere and press Enter and then run gzip -d filenamehere.gz
and Enter and then install the file using sh filenamehere.sh
- Now, we're gonna install some of the other files using GNORPM - Go to
Programs, System, GNORPM, Install, Add, /root, add all RPM files and choose
install - the system should install all RPM files (note any errors - on mine
there weren't any - at least not when using the files mentioned previously
from my download file - there were with some of the files downloaded from
Interchange - but these have been removed from my zipped copy and others put
in their place)
- Install MD5 as listed below
- Open the GNOME terminal - Start, Programs, System, GNOME Terminal and make
sure you're in the /root dir
- Type tar -xzvf MD5filename.tar.gz and Enter
- Type cd MD5directoryname and then Enter
- Type perl Makefile.PL and then Enter
- Type make install and then Enter
- Wait until the command prompt and do the above (just like you did for
MD5 - only change the file names to match the appropriate files) for NetSSL,
Data-Show Table, DBI (after running the install, be sure to remove the
created folder in /root before installing DBD) and DBD (note - when
untarred - this creates a folder that starts with Msql - in addition - when
you run the Makefile.PL or the make install for DBD (I forget which one) -
it will ask a few questions - this is what I answered - 1 for MySQL, Yes for
emulation, when asked for directory - tell it /usr/local/psa/mysql and then
Enter for any other questions)
- Restart the computer and ignore any failed error messages during the
Shutdown
- Login as root and the password
- Open Netscape and browse to the https://ipaddressofcomputer:8443 and type
in admin and then setup and choose Login.  Enter all of the information
requested
- Add 1 more IP Address to the Server section (this is required if you want
to use an SSL certificate.  All domains wanting an SSL certificate will
require a separate IP Address).  Choose Server, IP Aliasing and then enter
an additional IP address.  example 12.22.23.31 and the subnet will probably
be 255.255.255.0
- Choose Server, Change Password and type in the old Password and then the
new Password
- Go ahead and setup a new Client - Clients, New Client
- After completing the above, click on Domains and the domain name that you
added in the Client will be shown.  Click on it and then choose Hosting,
Physical, Next, fill in the info and then choose all of the available
options except Frontpage Support and choose Update.
- Choose Databases, type in a database name (such as foundation), choose
Add, type a user name (such as test) and a password (such as password) and
then save the settings.
whatever you'd like, set emails to forward to an email address and choose
Update.  Remember!!!  Whomever your Registrar is (such as Verisign/Network
Solutions, OpenSRS) will need 24 to 48 hours to update the name server
information before you're able to view your page using your domain name
(just tell the registry the ip address that you entered when you first
installed Red Hat for the Name Server address.  If they need another, too -
just enter the domain name ip address as well - all of this info is edited
via the Control Panel of your Registrar - Verisign, etc.)  You can still
view your domain via the ip address that you set in the Hosting section of
Plesk .
- Log out of Plesk
- Although this step isn't necessary (the way that we're doing things - I
prefer that you set it up) - Make a symbolic link to the mysqladmin file by
opening up /usr/local/psa/mysql/bin in the Directory Explorer (for lack of a
better term - basically just open the Home Directory found on the desktop
and type in the above - removing /root)
- Right click on mysqladmin, choose Symlink and type in /usr/bin/mysqladmin
- To make it easier, we need to disable SUEXEC by opening the GNOME terminal
and typing:
chmod u-s /usr/local/psa/apache/bin/suexec
- We're gonna make a catalog now - Programs, System, GNOME terminal
- type cd /usr/lib/interchange
- type ./bin/makecat
- Catalog Name:  foundation
- If asked, tell path to httpd.conf:  /usr/local/psa/apache/conf
- Server Name:  If your page can be pulled up by the domain name, then type
www.domainname.com (the domain that you entered into Plesk).  If it can't,
use the ip address for the domain name that you set up in the Hosting
section of Plesk.
- Demo Type:  foundation
- permtype:  M
- Interchange User:  interch
- CatUser:  interch
- Interchange Group:  interch
- MailOrder To:  youremailaddress@whatever.com
- CatRoot:  /var/lib/interchange/foundation
- Cgidir:  /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/yourdomain.com/cgi-bin   (Note:  Use
the domain name that you entered for the domain created in Plesk - don't use
the IP Address)
- CgiUrl:  /cgi-bin/foundation
- Aliases:  /foundation
- Document Root:  /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/yourdomain.com/httpdocs
- SampleHTML:  /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/yourdomain.com/httpdocs/foundation
- ImageDir:
/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/yourdomain.com/httpdocs/foundation/images
- ImageUrl:  /foundation/images
- UNIX Mode
- CgiWrap:  n for NO
- Company Name:  Foundation Store
- Sample Data:  tools
- MySQL, etc.:  1
- MySQL:  1
- Database:  Enter database name created in Plesk - example mentioned
previously was foundation
- DBI DSN:  dbi:mysql:foundation (it should automatically put in this)
- Username for MySQL:  Enter Database User Name used in Plesk - example was
test
- Password for MySQL:  Enter Database Password used in Plesk - example was
password
- Set to 1= 1
- Additional Options:  -u databaseusername -p (example was test)
- Account Name:  interch
- Admin Pass:  pass
- Set to 1 for demohelper:  1
- run mysqladmin . . .: y
- the above should return an error saying the database already exists since
we created it in Plesk - it's ok
- run "sh . . . makedirs":  y
- run "sh . . . installsample":  y
- Add catalog to interchange.cfg:  y
- It should return you to a command prompt.  To complete the catalog, we
need to restart Interchange.  Type the following at the command prompt:
su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange -r" interch
- You may receive an error - just ignore.  This process usually adds the
required table to the MySQL database
- Now, from my experience - after doing the above - the catalog doesn't
work.  I generally have to type in the following when the above is finished:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange restart
- You can view your catalog by typing in the following:
http://thecatalogipaddress/catalogname
In other words, for the previous examples - we used:
http://12.22.23.31/foundation - but your IP address will be the IP Address
entered into the hosting section within Plesk

NOTES:

-AuthorizeNet is easily supported in this configuration.  You can search the
archives at http://interchange.redhat.com/ for info (that I posted
previously) about getting AuthorizeNet to work (note - ignore the files that
I mentioned within the posted document - they have already been installed
above).  If AuthorizeNet doesn't work - re-install the NetSSL mentioned
previously.

-If the catalog doesn't pull up, make sure that the tables were created when
you restarted Interchange.  You can check this by logging into Plesk,
clicking on the Domain Name, choosing Database, the database name, clicking
on PHPADMIN and looking for tables.  If they aren't there, it's probably due
to an error with the DBD, DBI and ShowTables modules that we untarred and
ran previously.  Try re-installing those, restarting the computer and then
using the previously two  mentioned commands above to restart Interchange.

-If the images don't show up in the Administrator section of Interchange,
you can copy the Interchange folder from /var/www/html to
/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/yourdomainname.com/httpdocs and that should
correct the problem.

:-)  Justin

newbie, blah blah blah