[ic] Single SKU in Multiple Categories

Fred Pope interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 11:28:00 2001

Platform: IC 4.8.3, MySQL, RH 7.1
--
I am looking at alternatives of having a single SKU show up in multiple
categories. Looking through the archives, the best way to do this easily
is either to do a join in a separate table in the database, or to add a
second column in the products database table if the there are not going
to be an excessive amount, but this is clearly poor database design.
Someone had suggested seperating the category list by commas in the
products table, but this does not work to produce the desired result.
What you end up with is a new category with a name of the two categories
seperated by a comma on the results.html page.

If anyone has done this successfully, and are pleased with the results,
I would appreciate knowing your approach, and why that approach was
chosen. I am toying with a couple of options, and was just curious to
see what worked for others.

Best -

Fred Pope