[ic] FORUM - instead of Mailing List

Jason Kohles interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Dec 28 19:19:00 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 06:37:28PM -0500, AddAction New Media wrote:

> No offense but you are missing the point. A forum & a mailing list both have
> advantages and disadvantages. A forum that sends out digest e-mail would
> have two good elements of both mediums.

I am offended, and I am not missing the point.  The point is that if everyone
sets up their own support forum (you are certainly not the first person to
do so, there are probably at least twenty such forums completely abandoned out
on the net), then the number of unanswered questions will increase, not
decrease, as people who know the answers will pick one or the other, not both.

> Further, is this list official support? If so why are a lot of simple
> questions unanswered? ....I know open source... free software....

This is the official interchange-users list, and why simple questions go
unanswered is irrelevant (and has been discussed at length), the same
questions that don't get answered here aren't magically going to get
answered just because you changed the discussion format.

> There is no claim on the forum to be "official support" and if Redhat would
> request so, we would mention the contact information on the site. The forum
> is to help people with Interchange, but for some reason you do not seem to
> be interested in that.

answered, keeping in mind that I have been assigned to a non-Interchange
project and answering these questions on my own time since June, then decide
whether I'm interested in helping people with Interchange.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@redhat.com
Senior System Architect                      (703)786-8036 (cellular)