[ic] Re: FORUM - instead of Mailing List

JOHN WRONG interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 13:57:00 2001

just listen to yourself.
Why do you do SO much work???
Is organized by yourself really that good? all the work?
what is Web serices?? what is ASP? why use html or anything.
I think u would be happy with just text. Why use XML.. you can
have your own data organized. Why have a standard?? If you are
so happy with your own way.

>organized as my email is, I can't filter the forum, and I
can't take the
forum with me on my laptop.

All you are doing is looking for a solution right?? Or try to
help other right?

I dont really want to say anything on the topics. But this is
crazy. I think all of you agree if you find the answer you are
looking for on the list or forum you will be a happy person.
And here is another group of people who will help us. Be happy
about it. Thanks for the list and forum. Resources is GOOD!!
NO??? Stop the blah blah blah blah..

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Jason Kohles (jkohles@redhat.com)
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 07:25:38PM +0800, ako pia wrote:
> >
> > LOTS-O-EMAIL
> > With the Forum, you wouldn't have ANY email. Plus, the
forum is much
> more organized.
> >
> I think you are missing the point.  I WANT it as email, the
forum is not
> as
> organized as my email is, I can't filter the forum, and I
can't take the
> forum with me on my laptop.
>
> > TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
> > The technical questions I think should really be posted at
the forum.
> It's so much easier to find the replies and follow the lines
of
> reasoning. Plus, the answers can be added to a knowledge base
or FAQ
> really easily and searched very quickly.
> >
> I completely disagree, with email I can tag a thread to be
watched, and
> I can
> search all the email I've ever received in a matter of
seconds.  As I've
> said
> before, if your mail client can't follow threads then you
need a new
> mail
> client, you don't need to try and replace the whole system to
deal with
> the
> inadequacies of your own software choices.
>
> > ORGANIZATION
> > The bottom line is that once you've tried a good forum
system,
> everything else pales by comparison. It's the level of
organization that
> is the key. Everything all at one location in an orderly
manner. There's
> just no substitute that I am aware of.
> >
> That's your opinion, and one I do not share for the reasons
I've covered
> above, and many others, not the least of which is that a
decent mail
> client
> does a much better job of organization by letting the reader,
rather
> than the
> site administrator, determine how that information should be
organized.

> > I certainly am not trying to step on anybody's toes, but
the forum
> scripts are so good these days that you'll really like them
once you try
> them. The old types of forums (which are still used by some
folks) are
> almost as frustrating as mailing lists, but go over to
> Interchangeville.com, register, and then throw in a question
or two, or
> respond to some, and you'll start to get used to it. It's
great.

> I did try it, for one thing postnuke generates some really
hideous
> non-compliant HTML that makes many of the threads unreadable
in Mozilla.
>  At
> the time I tried it there were about 60 messages in the
forum, and it
> took
> nearly 40 minutes to read them all with all of the navigation
required
> to go
> through the forum format.  Reading 60 messages in email
generally takes

jkohles@redhat.com