[ic] Re: FORUM - instead of Mailing List

Nathan D. Olmscheid interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 17:34:01 2001

OK, these posts are getting a little old now. I beleive this subject of this
message was talked about several messages ago, and many agreed that it would
not be smart to REPLACE (INSTEAD OF) the mailing list, but to have it as an
addition. I think the first poster chose terrible subject line.

Me, as a person who frequents forums, feels they have a lot to offer. Much
more organized, and usually searching works much better. The feature to
subscribe to a particular thread and then to be able to follow it in your
email box is very nice also.

To many people are shunning this idea as they don't like change, and I don't
feel many people have even given it a chance. There are serveral posts a day
in here saying that forums, are terrible, and if you think that so be it,
your entitled to your opinion, but don't say they are terrible when you have
not tried one. (I talked to a poster in this forum who said they suck, asked
him what forums he uses, and said he doesn't, they "LOOK" like they would be
a pain.

Like I said, I do not think the mailing list should be REMOVED, but I think
we could all asset from the addition of the forum as well.

I personally do like the email list as well, but I feel that the searching
the archive is pretty bad. I also really like Interhcangeville.com which has
been started as everything is neatly organized and very easily
searchable.....granted there are only 150 posts now.

So, no, I do not think we should get RID of the list, but I think it would
benefit a lot of people to post at Interchangeville as well.

Nathan