[ic] New Feature Multiple DNS-entries/IP's/aliases from interchange.

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb@zenez.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:45:27 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jeff Carnahan wrote:
> If you have a SINGLE machine running all of these domains, I don't see where
> the problem lies. I have a Interchange process running on a single machine
> that handles 4 catalogs, each of which has it's own website and
> corresponding IP address. My machine responds to all four ip addresses.
>
> Each website simply connects to the interchange process running on
> "localhost" which is 127.0.0.1 .. The Interchange process only listens on
> 127.0.0.1. Of course, I could run an arbitrary number of websites on that
> single machine, each utilizing the single Interchange process.

Maybe it is me.  That is how I did it to start but when I try to check-out
from a brwoser not on the machine running https://127.0.0.1/ I would get
pages not available.  I then put in the address of
https:/host.domain.com/.... for the secure server and it worked.  I do
have Apache-SSL on 127.0.0.1 which works when I check it from a X-window
as I mention above.  I thought the error from browers was because the
machine I was running the browser on did not have a local webserver
running.

> The IP address of the website is inconsequential to Interchange. Remember,
> that Interchange is listening on 127.0.0.1, thus ANY website (regardless of
> the address it responds to) on the SAME machine, can contact 127.0.0.1 for
> Interchange services.
>
> NOW, if you have MULTIPLE web servers that provide web services for a SINGLE
> website, that is you're distributing the load for a web site across multiple
> machines, you have two solutions (as I see it):

That is part of the problem two.

> 1: Create a NFS (or similar) filesystem that can be mounted over a network.
> On machines that serve requests for the website, mount this common
> filesystem. Now, put the Catalog for the website these machines service on
> that common filesystem (or partition). Now, on each machine, run a copy of
> Interchange and configure it to use the catalog on this common filesystem.

That is what I did.

>   - This will ensure that all webservers in this distributed configuration
> use the same catalog information, and same user database. Thus if a user
> places a item in his cart on web server one, he can do the checkout process
> on web server two because they both share his personal information (and the
> same catalog).
>
> 2: There are variants of the above approach. However, you must ensure that
> all web servers use the common user database and order routing system. Ways
> to do this:
>
>   - Use a non-flat-file sessions database. I.e.: Use a common MySQL/Whatever
> database that all web servers connect to when obtaining session information.

That is what I am doing.

>   - Have many web servers provide information about your products, but only
> one that allows users to 'check-out' or make their purchases. This will
> allow you to concentrate whatever is necessary to complete your purchase
> transaction in one location (i.e.: connecting to an outside payment
> organization, or incrementing a single order counter).

That is what I am doing wrong.  I am trying to go from all locations with
the https://127.0.0.1 which I could only get to work when I was on the
machine.  I then tried to use multiple IP's.  Did not work.  Changed to
just a single IP and it worked.

>   - Consider upgrading your equipment if it's not appropriate for the level
> of traffic your site is receiving. While Interchange is quite good, it can
> only perform within the limitations of your hardware. Don't run a popular
> site with 64 MB ram. Use 1 GB. Don't save session information to a machine
> that's already overloaded, purchase a new one for this task... Consider all
> weak links in your setup, whether they are machines, network connections,
> software, or peculiarities in the checkout system that are specific to your
> business.
>
> But remember, if you do have more than one web server servicing a single
> website, you absolutely MUST ensure that all of the web servers use common
> session information.

I agree.  Thanks. I think I know where I made my mistake.  It was trying
to distribute check-out to many and I was failing there.

Thanks,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
ZENEZ	3748 Valley Forge Road, Magna Utah  84044