[ic] Slower startup as Mysql tables grow

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:25:47 -0500

Quoting Jimmy Eaton (jeaton@silverclicks.com):
> As the number of records grow in a table the longer it takes for the
> catalog to startup. If I delete the records startup is much faster. Is this
> a Mysql problem? I presently have Minivend 4.04. Is this better in
> Interchange? Why does slow down? Is it bringing in all the records?

That is it. It uses a select * from something to get the field names.

The solution is to update to Interchange 4.6.3, where if you are using
MySQL it will use a "limit 1" to keep that time to the minimum.

You could also find the place in Vend::Table::DBI where it does
that and hardcode a "limit 1" yourself.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock