[ic] Interchange Mall

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:15:54 -0500

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 07:50:30PM -0500, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Dafoe (jeffd@evcom.net):
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, IC-Admin wrote:
> >
> > > Easy, easy, I spoke of glasses not of RTFM. :-)  Your original question
> > > was very general, so I thought I give a very general answer.
> > 	These items are interesting, I can see that the first step in
> > approaching the mall topic would be to find out what the desired
> > definition of "mall" is.  My concept of a mall is more in line with what
> > was mentioned in
> The hard parts are the rules for running the mall, and defining what
> you will and will not support. Once you have done that, you have something.
> Until you have done it, you have nothing.
> Sorry, but it is less work to define your business process then tailor
> a flexible piece of software to it. Interchange is well suited to that,
> as well suited as anything I know. But it won't architect the mall.

It's ALL about business logic.  We always ask prospective clients
"How do you deliver; show me" before we take them on.  The
second question is "Do you have product codes, are they your own
or do you use your vendor codes?"  Seriously, we can usually
put up a 10 thousand item catalog in a fraction of the time
it takes to put up ten items.  That's ALL about organization
and business logic; 10 thousand items we can get a dump **now**
and every night at 11pm but ten items will dribble in 80% over
the next two weeks.  10 thousand items and they know how to ship
and what are the lead times and what kind of pick tickets and
what is best mode; 100 items and we see 20% returns because it
is "just not right".  If you are thinking about a mall and can't
answer the delivery and product code issues congruently
GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL AND DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.

> Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
> -- Karl Lehenbauer

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039