[ic] Crazy Cross Compatibility Problems

Mike Heins mheins@redhat.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:22:55 -0500

Quoting Steve & Patti Getzinger (steveandpatti@wubs.org):
> I would start with your Apache setup and particularly the SSL portion.
> Kinda depends on if you are running http1.1 or 1.0. You are looking for
> entries such as:
>
> SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
>
> Seems as though just another reason why Microsoft is superior ;-) You
> can also search the recent archives for the subject MAC and Data
> Encryption Error. You can also enter the above line into a search engine
> and return many pages dealing with info on the matter.

A good way to test this is to try accessing a regular page (not Interchange)
repeatedly, i.e. one of the image files. If there are errors on those,
then it has nothing at all to do with anything except problems between
the web server and the browser. Usually Microsoft's buggy SSL implementation
is at fault.

You might put this on the basket page:

	If you have trouble ordering,
	<A HREF="https://www.myserver.com/regular_page.html">
	try this link
	</A> repeatedly.  If errors occur, when traveling
	this link and clicking Refresh/Reload several times,
	then you need to update your web browser.

The regular_page.html should be at least 16K bytes in size to give
it a chance to fail.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman