[ic] best set up with several stores

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:02:52 -0800

At 12:09 PM 2/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm looking for suggestions on how best to set up interchange with several
>stores.  What I was trying to set up each store with its own interchange
>server, so each store could restart it at will without disturbing the other
>stores.  But, at least by default, interchange only wants to run one server.
>
>So...
>A) Is there a way to run more than one interchange server on one box
>(Solaris)?  (Is there something I haven't tried?)

Yes.  Interchange can run multiple catalogs per interchange daemon.  You
can probably restart individual catalogs by researching the bin/minivend
command line arguments a bit more

Yes, you can also easily run multiple interchange deamons per box.  Just
install them to different directories (/usr/local/ic-4.6.3,
or  /usr/local/ic-CVS-$DATE is how I do it).  It doesn't hurt for them to
share a common catalog directory (such as /var/ic), but you probably don't
want two daemons accessing the same catalog at the same time :-)

In short, it's more of a sysadmin issue than it is a program issue, which
extols the value of Mike's quality programming.  (Thanks, Mike).

>B) If I use only one interchange server, then do each of the stores need a
>copy of the page templates?  Are there other files that are shared that each
>store would need a copy of  - to customize for themselves?

You can do either, but I would make completely separate copies for the sake
of flexibility.

HTH,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com