[ic] Error using links

Ed LaFrance edl@newmediaems.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 09:39:51 -0800

At 10:23 AM 1/2/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>At http://www.e-rocs.com/construct/ I have the catalog home page.
>
>When I hit the "Enter as a customer" link I am taken to
>http://www.e-rocs.com/cgi-bin/construct/index.html
>
>Which produces the standard "500 Internal Server Error" I get the same thing
>when I hit any of the other links on the home page. I know this usually
>means a permissions error but where should I start looking?

Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has
been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions.  Telnet into your
server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they look
like this:

-rwxr-xr-x

try this command at the prompt:

chmod u+s filename

...substitute the name of your link file for filename.  Conversely, if the
permissions look like this:

-rwsr-xr-x

try this command at the prompt:

chmod u-s filename

Most of the time this will solve the problem.

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D          edl@newmediaems.com
Placerville, CA  95667         http://www.newmediaems.com
(530) 622-9421                 (530) 622-9426 Fax
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free