[ic] How do we create a new empty database

Steve & Patti Getzinger steveandpatti@wubs.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:45:52 -0500

fmaestas@ttseagle.com wrote:

> Just installed everything and now I need to create a new "empty" database
> that I can start to populate with my own data.  However, I can't seem to
> figure it out.  Do I try to empty a copy of the construct db, or is there a
> way to tell makecat create a new empty db?  I'm going to use the built-in
> database (not sql).
>
> Thanks in advance
> -
>   Frank Maestas
>   fmaestas@ttseagle.com

If you are using the consrtuct demo you have 2 quick options. One is to simply
do the install (makecat) and delete the data from the products.txt file
leaving the first line as it is your field names and some correspond to tags
already in place. ie: price is teh field that shows up everywhere as the cost
of an item. Change that field name to cost and no prices without further mods
everywhere.

The next is to go into the root interchange dir and clean out the file there.
In fact just copy the construct demo (cp -a construct) naming it something
else like construct1 :) and then modify that to be what you want. Empty out
the db files and so on. No whwen you call makecat tell it you want construct1
not construct and magic you have a catalog with no entries in the db files.
This would be my route if I planned many such installs but if only one I would
use route 1.

Steve