[ic] postgres vs mysql

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:06:58 -0500

Quoting Ragen Herrington (tncybervol@home.com):
> Troy,
>
> If I remember correctly, mySQL is a duplicated effort related to postgres.
> That being said, mySQL will be discontinued at some point in time.
> Hopefully this tidbit will help your decision.

I certainly haven't heard this. MySQL is alive and kicking, and there
are certainly no plans to discontinue it that I have heard.

I wonder if you were thinking of miniSQL, which has been struggling.
Supposedly it revived as of Jan 1 (see http://www.hughes.com.au).

I was down on Postgres for speed reasons at one time, but V7.0x
has *greatly* improved speed, to the point where some people say
it is faster than MySQL. I wouldn't have believed that until I tried
7.0x just yesterday. The several seconds it used to take to import
only a few hundred records (the country table) now are not appreciably
diffrent from the blink of an eye MySQL takes.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun