[ic] Using order groups for set price custom orders?

Chris Rapier rapier@psc.edu
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:49:30 -0500

cfm@maine.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:07:48AM -0500, Chris Rapier wrote:
> >
> > > We do that with assemblies of pre made baskets and selectable
> > > attibutes.
> > I'm not sure I follow you here. In the example you provided I don't see
> > how the user could choose between different items in the basket. For
> > example, lets say you can the Can Bake for 2 and decided to give them a
> > choice between Boston Clam Chowder and Manhattan Clam Chowder. How would
> > the supplier be informed of this choice? It seems that this is more of a
> > 'static' basket. Which has actually already been taken care of :)
>
> I might not quite understand the question...
>
> The type of chowder is just an attribute as far as the item/basket
> are concerned, like size, color, etc...  The vendor sees the attribute.
> The **outboard** pro-forma shipping report maps that to SKU for the
> vendor but that is only for his reordering purposes.  The customer
> only gets the preordained chowder choices for that attribute.  We use
> a total of three, in this case chowder, vegetable or shellfish.  If
> that attribute were a choice of 1 of 100 items you'd want a perl routine
> or usertag and probably a pricing routine in (un)CommonAdjust.

Okay, I get it now. Basically, if a customer orders a basket there are a
number of dimension to the basket. Each dimension has a set number of
attributes. These attributes are then used to inform the vendor what
they actually picked.

So I would have something like
Eggs  <- Item
 Brown	 <- Item attribute
 White
 Free Range
Breads
 Wheat
 White
 Italian
Cookies
 Chocolate
 Sugar
 Butter

I think I know how to do this now. Guess its time to get back to work...

> Well, if your clients are successful, then they will want more.  :-)

Maybe I'll subcontract it. That would make my life easier and still get
me some money :)

> If the items are limited (eg choice of chowder) then attributes are
> pretty straightforward.

Okay, I think I understand where you are going now.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.