[ic] security (order number, failure to update)

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:56:15 -0500

Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps@reliant-solutions.com):
> Mike,
>
> Can you discuss some of the other ways of handling the order number outside
> of IC?  Were getting ready to launch a high traffic site next week Thursday
> and if there is a chance that these errors could happen we'd like to avoid
> that.  A bit about our setup, were running an Alpha 600 (EV56) with a gig of
> RAM on RedHat with MySQL as the backend.  Are plans are to see how this box
> handles under load and if it cannot do the job we'll be loading up another
> Alpha 600 just to handle the MySQL server.  What is your recommended
> solution for this situation?  Thanks for your help.

(Lord, I hate that quoting style. Please help me see the light.)

There are no problems. CFM was talking about problems with his custom
setup. Unless you are on BSD, I know of no order number problems using
the OrderCounter, other than problems with overwriting the file with
backups or moves.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman