[ic] Installing interchange on a Solaris 8 box

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 3 16:14:34 2001

Quoting Larry Caragay (larry@compwebtech.com):
> To all..
>
> Installing interchange on my Solaris 8 Intel box has been a night mare.
> Since I have installed perl 5.6.1 I have had no problems installing
> interchanges, but I can't seem to get any db to work with it. I have tried
> to install Berlekey_db and MySql, but for some reason it will not install
> properly. Would anyone out there have any suggestion on how to install
> mysql, or db??? Iam trying to find out what needs to be installed before I
> install any of these date base programs..

For Solaris, the best thing is to get gdbm-1.7.3 and make and install
that, then recompile Perl. It should pick it up, though you will have
to edit config.sh and move GDBM_File from dynamic_ext to static_ext.

In 4.7.x, for testing, your current setup should work as SDBM is
supported.  If you edit ext/SDBM_File/sdbm/sdbm.h (in Perl source)
and change

#define DBLKSIZ 4096
#define PBLKSIZ 1024
#define PAIRMAX 1008            /* arbitrary on PBLKSIZ-N */
#define SPLTMAX 10          /* maximum allowed splits */

#define DBLKSIZ 4096
#define PBLKSIZ 8192
#define PAIRMAX 8044            /* arbitrary on PBLKSIZ-N */
#define SPLTMAX 10          /* maximum allowed splits */

then recompile Perl, that will allow most of the databases to work,
with the possible exception of ichelp.txt which you may want
to remove from catalog_before.cfg.

If all of the above is gibberish, then I would get some help with
it. There is a README file for SDBM, for instance.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.