[ic] set variable using Javascript???

Dan B interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 3 16:21:00 2001

At 03:20 PM 7/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am working on a site that has a dhtml menu. We have three versions of
>the navigation and when someone first comes to the site we redirect them
>to an index page which sets a menutype variable.
>
>The problems is if someone come to the site directly to a page other than
>the index this variable never gets set. Detecting which browser they have
>is no problem but can I set a variable using javascript?

You can set [value]'s via javascript.  E.g., use a hidden form value.

<INPUT type=hidden name=browsertype>

<SCRIPT>
         function set_browser(form) {
                 form.browsertype.value = "Netscape";
                 return 0;
         }
</SCRIPT>

You also need something to call set_browser(this.form), probably best from
<BODY ... onLoad()> or whatever it is.

on the next page (or in mv_check) you can access it with:

[value browsertype]

I hope that helps,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com