[ic] Re: how to remove records from database

Steffen Dettmer interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Jul 4 05:26:53 2001

* Mark Johnson wrote on Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 14:12 -0400:
> Russ Riggs wrote:
> > down to about zero.  So I am constrained to use gpl software
> > which actually suits me just fine.  If mysql doesn't support
> > triggers/cascading deletes then i'll work around that fact.
>
> You might investigate Postgres. I would suspect it has cascading
> deletes, and I know it has triggers. MySQL certainly does not have
> either (MySQL doesn't even support foreign keys).

PostgreSQL supports foreign keys from version 7.0 and up IIRC.
PostgreSQL is really nice and like a real DBMS, but of course
there are some things missing, i.e. when useing views you have to
define functions for insertions and so on. Additionally,
PostgreSQL is really free. I believe MySQL has some points where
it's non-free.

oki,

Steffen