[ic] Very Slow browse

Peter Jakl interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 5 12:21:00 2001

Stefano,

I have the very same problem. The best that can be done, based on feedback I
have gotten, is that interchange can generate an SQL statement such as
"SELECT * FROM PRODUCTS WHERE category='value'". Indexing the category
column gives the desired performance. The problem is in more complex
searching. Interchange should allow an sql statement to be passed thru
directly to the database. I don't understand why it doesn't. It seems it
would be a simple addition and provide a huge benefit. Can someone explain
whether this is possible?

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@developer.akopia.com
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@developer.akopia.com]On Behalf Of
Stefano Malagoli
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 2:39 AM
To: interchange-users
Subject: [ic] Very Slow browse

Hi all,
I have about 20,000 items in my catalog stored in a MySql database. My
catalog is based on 'construct' demo and like it  items are grouped in
category, but when I browse to a single category I have to wait a lot even
if the category contain few (about 10) items. Tailing the mysql log I see
that IC execute a query "SELECT * FROM products" that produce a huge
resultset and then IC filter this query internally for the category clicked.
To increase the performance I bypass IC search engine and buid my own browse
page then take as argument the category name e perform a query "SELECT *
FROM producrs WHERE category='some category'" (whit a [QUERY] tag) that is
faster e produce a small resultset.
But doing this I loose some function like [item-change], [more-list] and
[item-alternate]. So before continue to reimplement this function I have
some question.
I don't understand how IC use MySql ?
or if this is the right way to increase the performance with a large db ?

TIA
Stefano.