[ic] Credit card LUHN checking

Corey Gilmore interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 5 15:48:00 2001

basically with credit cards you have 3 types of numbers.
your generic 16 (usually) number.
a valid (but not real) CC that passes the luhn check digit alg.
and then a *real* CC

If you take a 16 digit #, roughly every 9'th # will pass the luhn alg.
out of those, its totally random which of those ~1/9 #'s will be a REAL
CC.

If a card passes the luhn alg, it may, or may not be real.  if it fails
the alg, it cannot be real.

off topic, the first digit maps to a card type, the first 4-6 #'s map to
banks.

3=amex, 4=visa, 5=mc, 6=discover.
5490=mbna, etc.  i don't believe there is an offical (or legal) 'prefix'
mapping of cards->banks available to normal users.

.cfg