[ic] templates other than construct

Jim Balcom interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jul 6 18:36:00 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Nathan Young wrote:

NY>>I read mention in the documentation of other templates besides the
NY>>construct template.  Has this been dropped?  I can't find links from the
NY>>interchange site or more recent mention of this.
NY>>
NY>>Is there an architectural overview of interchange?  I can find
NY>>conceptually overviews and lots of very detail oriented documentation
NY>>(which is great) but I haven't found a document that lays out the parts
NY>>and fits them together.
NY>>
NY>>I'd also love to read a comprehensive take on configuration... Where are
NY>>the config files, what does each do, what are their scope... Also I
NY>>gather that some configuration is in a database, how does that work?

You should change your focus....

Look at InterChange as a pile of lumber of assorted sizes, a pile of
bricks, blocks, and other assorted hardware. And, these are magic
piles. When you take something out of a pile, it is replaced by an
identical one for an unending supply.

On the next building lot is an example that you can use to remodel,
refurbish, etc.

The building lot on the other side of the pile is vacant. You can go on
this vacant lot, and you can use the stuff on the middle lot (the
supply lot) to build whatever you can dream of - from a one room shack
to a Taj Mahal. Or, you can go to the other lot and rip out stuff and
throw it away, and take stuff from the supply lot to renovate into
anything that you want - from a one-room shack to a Taj Mahal.

The only instructions that are available are on the materials in the
supply lot. The lots on either side of the supply lot have no
instructions or guidelines. It's up to you to create your own.

InterChange has a very steep learning curve. It is not something that
you will learn in one evening of reading a manual. It takes a LOT of
work! But, it's well worth it!

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Friday, July 06, 2001 at 18:25 PM:
Megabyte: A nine course dinner.

This Linux System has been up 204 hours