[ic] hardware for Interchange

Jockey interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 9 20:59:01 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Dan B wrote:

DB>>There are several cases where you could lose your primary drive and your
DB>>backup at once (e.g. if a blackhat rooted your box and toasted both, or
DB>>your power supply had a melt down and fried everything).  For that reason,
DB>>having off site or tape backups are beneficial.  You could setup an
DB>>encrypted SSH session to automatically backup to another box over the
DB>>Internet from cron every night.  This other box could have a tape drive
DB>>which you can take home every night.

I am doing back-ups of all of my store stuff via NFS to another box at
midnight every night.

The upside is that this is going on to 2 totally different computers.
If one fails, I can quickly throw the other one on line with very
little loss.
The downside is that both computers are about 10 feet apart. A
fire/bomb/vandalism would take them both out.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, July 09, 2001 at 20:55 PM:
Do not put statements in the negative form.

This Linux System has been up 2 hours