[ic] Error Messages:

Garry interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 10 05:41:01 2001

One of my apparent problems is that my IC is pre installed on my website by
my hosting service, which means to alter anything in IC I am using an FTP
client to download the item, and then using a windows based PC to alter /
edit templates, pages etc, and then re uploading them. I have to be careful
how I change things as the windows editors often insist on altering the
format of items so that when they are uploaded, they don't work properly or
give unexpected results.  Editing the catalog being one of the hardest to
do.

I wanted to change the locale to appear to be in the UK.  I have tried
several unsuccesful methods, the biggest problem being with the error
messages on the checkout page.

What I have done, with a degree of success, (and what has seemed to be the
best option so far) is changed the US Label from "United States" to "United
Kingdom", removed the option to be able to choose "Canada" or "Other", and
got the Checkout to look up UK Counties instead of US States.  This works
extremely well apart from the error message system, which will not accept a
UK Postcode: The error message indicating that the postcode entered is not a
valid US or Canada Code, and in that, it is correct.

Someone told me where to look to change the format of the postcode, but,
given the method by which I have to modify IC - and my limited knowledge of
how the program works, I simply didn't understand what I was being told.

Is there a simple manner in which I can modify IC to accept a different type
of postcode (zip) whilst thinking it is still in the US? (UK postcodes look
like this: (eg) BD22 5HU, or W1 5ES).  Or alternatively, just have the error
checker see at least the first 2 or 3 characters of the postcode field to
accept it?

This is just about the last hurdle I have with IC, in the last 6 weeks I
will have gone from total thicko, to enlightened idiot !

cheers

Garry