[ic] SessionDB - storing sessions in a mysql table ?

Dan B interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jul 13 19:11:01 2001

At 10:38 AM 7/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey Dan,
>
>Thanks a ton for your response.  ...  question:  how many hits can you
>sustain w/o needing a cluster?  What kind of system config are you running
>and what can it handle?
>
>Thanks,
>Jud

Right now, the www.diabeticsupplies.com webserver is somewhere around:
Dual P3-1GHZ
1GB RAM
1 Cheetah SCSI-180 18gb
Onboard SCSI-180 controller
Dual redundant NICs (intel e100)
RedHat 7.0
Apache
IC 4.6.5

And database:
Dual Zeon 550-Mhz with 1MB L1 cache
1GB RAM
RAID array:
         6x Hotswap Seagate Cheetah 4th gen SCSI-180
         Mylex 350 RAID card - 64MB RAM, 2 channel x SCSI-180
4 e100 NICs in Cisco Fast EtherChannel = 300~400Mbps
RH 7.0
PostgreSQL 7.0.3

What can it handle?  I pounded on it with ab for a while, but that was with
different hardware.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to benchmark
the above boxes before they went into production, and I'm not planning on
doing it while we're live.  But I know they can handle a pretty good
minimum, and most page generations take about .0085 seconds, and the Inflow
Data Center provides about 9ms (yes, 9ms, not 90) ping latency to many
@home customers, as well as good latency to those on UUNET, Genuity and
AT&T backbones.

However, I do know that they need a little more beef than most because of
the nature of the site.  Every visitor gets a completely different browsing
experience based on their insurance type (you know, that whole
"personalize" thing that is so hot right now).  So we can't really do a lot
of caching or anything to speed stuff up, because almost every page sent
out is different.

In fact, even though they only have around 250 products, price calculation
is pretty complex because there are different user-customized prices for
every one of the hundreds of Insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid
combinations that we have data on -- about 30,000 records.

That is the reason I thought I would need a cluster by now, but so far the
load has been quite manageable.  But like I said, I'd like to start
planning now; it would be nice to get a contract going with RH where we
both invest time and money into something that could become a RH IC
clustering package, but I've got to come up with my end before I can even
make a proposal.  And that means more board meetings with the CEO, CFO, and
my VP (which I don't get too excited about).  But the deluge of
advertisements that are hitting soon might help.

When we do cluster, the web box will become the primary load director and
node, and we'll get 3 or 4 more 1U's, and we'll get a 4way or 8way
database/NFS server, probably load balanced as well using PostgreSLQ's
Master/Slave replication.

But that's enough of my sob story.  HAND,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com