[ic] File permissions on files created through the Admin UI

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 19 13:41:00 2001

Quoting George Law (glaw@thebook.com):
> Hello,
>
> We are a web hosting company running Interchange 4.65.  The main server
> process runs as "intercha", while each individual catalog runs as a seperate
> userid.   Each catalog has its own group, of which the user and intercha is
> a member.
>
> The problem we are seeing is that any pages created by the Admin UI come
> across owned by intercha instead of the userid.  The permissions on the file
> allow the store owner to delete the file (as a member of the group), but is
> there a way to configure it so the files end up owned by the store owner's
> userid instead of intercha.
>
> I expect this may be a parameter to makecat for when the catalog was originally
> created, but can this be changed after the catalog is set up.

Sorry, there is no way. Since Interchange runs as a normal user, there
is no way to change the ownership of the file. This is normal UNIX --
only a few UNIX variants (none in wide use anymore) ever allowed you to
"give away" a file. The superuser must change ownership.

Assuming the directories are set up properly, in 2770 mode, you can
force the group to what you want. And if ReadPermission and WritePermission
are set to "group", it should create files such that they can be used
by the user.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman