[ic] CGI(?) problem with demo-catalog on SuSE

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 26 10:07:01 2001

Quoting Erich Schreiber (erich@mmf.at):
>  Just for the records and for those SuSE users, who are hit by the same
> problem: I’ve got IC running on my SuSE 7.1.
>
> 1. When installing IC on SuSE as root, you need a login-shell (not ‘su’ but
> ‘su –‘), otherwise some tests in the configure script will fail.

I think this is alleviated on 4.7.x, but I am not positive.

> 2. The binary ‘construct’ in the cgi-bin that produced the ‘Unrecognized
> character \x7F’ error in the PerlRun modul is either the renamed vlink or
> tlink executable that forwards the requests via a Unix- or Inet-domain
> socket to the interchange demon that is listening on localhost:7786. The
> decision which Apache handler is evoked to execute the call is done by the
> SetHandler directive in the appropriate <Location ...> sector of the
> httpd.conf.
>
> 3. ‘cgi-bin’ worked for me, the ‘cgi-perl’ that was suggested by the makecat
> script produced the error. But in the interchange/src directory there are
> several different versions of the socket drivers (C, Perl, and even a
> loadable Apache module) so this might work with mod_perl too. I didn’t check
> it.

Actually, if you have Bundle::Interchange installed you should be able
to use your DOWN and UP arrows to cycle between all ScriptAlias directives
in the appropriate host configuration. We have no way of knowing which
ScriptAlias is the appropriate one without arbitrary guessing.

WRT hosts.deny, it shouldn't be necessary unless you have some
firewall that reads it. Interchange doesn't go through TCP wrappers.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.