[ic] We are exploring starting a new Interchange Hosting Service based on a new High-Density Server product

RobertTrembath interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 30 10:51:00 2001

Good Morning Everyone,

	I wanted to get some feedback from the list about a new service
we want to provide for people seeking a hosting solution for
Interchange. We recently have had access to some new high-density server
technology that allow us to provide an entire server with root access
and KVM over IP access on a RAID-5 Disk Array for each customer. Each
server would have:

Hardware
---------
300 mHz Processor
128 - 256 MB RAM
4 - 9 GB RAID5 Disk Array with striping and parity
2 Ethernet Interfaces (1-1GB & 1-10/100MB)
Integrated Video, Audio in&out, USB
Remote KVM over IP access (via an Avocent DS1800)

Software
---------
Red Hat 7.1 Server
Red Hat Interchange 4.8 Pre-configured
All Required Modules to run Interchange
MySQL
PHP
Apache
PERL 5.6
Sendmail
Webmin 8.5

This is what is preinstalled. You will have root access and complete
control over your server as well as remote KVM over IP and a client for
using it. This will also include a certain amount of bandwidth not yet
determined and a static IP, DNS services and mail if desired.

I need to know what interest there is for this service. We are building
a business plan for this service and have been testing Interchange in
production environments for about six months now. I would like to get
your opinions as developers about this and what you would pay for such a
service. Here's our thinking:

A) $200/mth. + $250 setup fee for the 128MB version with 4GB RAID5

or

B) $300/mth  + $350 setup fee for the 256MB version with 9GB RAID5

I would love some feedback from some of you about this and if you see it
as a valuable service. I can think of no other people more qualified to
thow some ideas at than this list. All comments are welcome. If this is
off-topic I apologize but since it does concern an Interchange
application, I thought it was appropiate. This is not a solitation and
is not available at this time. I just want to know if this is a service
you would use or recommend as a Interchange hosting solution and if the
price is in line for the services provided. Keep in mind that this is
the configuration that is now in Beta and faster harware solutions are
in the works but we don't know when yet.

If responding to this on the list is inappropriate, please email me
directly at robert@ishoptech.com.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments,

Robert Trembath
CTO
iShop Technologies Inc.