[ic] Non-Secure Checkout

Dan Browning interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 30 16:00:01 2001

At 08:42 PM 7/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing, but....
>
>I've got some customers that are objecting to my 128-bit security on
>checkout and are wanting a non-secure checkout in the Construct demo.
>
>Is there a simple way to do this? Or, should I simply push them to
>upgrade their browser?
>

>-= Jim =-

Your SSL should automatically handshake to 56-bit encryption even with a
128-bit key.  Try getting a low encryption browser and testing it yourself
while watching the /var/log/httpd/ssl... logs.

However, your customers might be experiencing other problems.  If you are
running OpenSSL (standard), I would recommend upgrading to the latest
version, 0.9.6 (-9 for rpm).  The new version seems to work better with
more browsers (and low encryption levels).  E.g. when I had 0.9.5, Internet
Explorer 5.5 with 56-bit encryption would always show 2 images (random
selection) as not available.  Further, there is some httpd.conf stuff that
you can do to increase compatibility as well.

Upgrading to 0.9.6 isn't easy, however, since you have to upgrade to an
Apache with a mod_ssl that has been compiled against the same version of
openssl.  You can compile the whole mess yourself to be sure, or try the
RPM trickery, or just buy StrongHold and be done with it.  :-)

HTH,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com