[ic] "Buy List" button

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jun 14 11:24:01 2001

Quoting me:

> > The "buy list" function was added over my protests, and I do recommend
> > that it be removed.
>
>Quoting Phillip A. Ryals (support@admiralexpress.com):
> I'm basically a nobody around here, but I must respectfully disagree.  I
> have quite a few customers that absolutely love that feature in our current
> system.  I'm planning to replace our current system with IC, but only if I
> can recreate the features my customers want.
>
> Think of it as a laundry list...  You set up a bunch of items that the
> customers buys regularly.  They log in, go to their list, add quantities,
> buy list, and they're done.  With a large list, you could save an enormous
> chunk of time.  The ability to save time is a major selling point for new
> accounts.  Granted, this might be a slightly specialized scenario, and it
> mostly relates to B2B type commerce, but it's definitely useful.

Bear in mind that I am in no way advocating that this should not be allowed --
the flexibility of Interchange is that you can do whatever you want. And I
am not against adding features, as should be obvious, 8-) but I am very
definitely against checkout complexity for most stores.

The buy-list function is something only a purchasing agent can love, IMHO.

Since most IC catalogs are B2C, it should not be a default option, again
in my opinion. For B2C, simple is best. I am pretty good at this stuff, but
if an online purchase gets too complicated, guess what? I give it up. I don't
have time to appreciate the subtleties of a complex interface unless it is
something I am going to be using frequently.

One thing that would help is if we displayed the cart at the top of the
results all of the time once someone buys from the list. What is probably
most confusing is the disappearing cart.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
car payments.  -- Earl Wilson