[ic] Performance question.

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jun 14 21:24:00 2001

Quoting Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net):
> At 1:14 PM -0700 on 6/14/01, Caleb Crome wrote:
>

> >Hi,
> >	I have a dual PIII, 600 MHZ server with 768 Meg of RAM.  I have the
> >construct catalog set up, using interchange 4.6.5, mysql 3.23.36, perl
> >5.6.0.  Linux Mandrake 8.0, mysql back end.
> >
> >When I run
> >
> >/usr/sbin/ab -c 3 -n 100
> >'http://<my_site>/cgi-bin/construct/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=categor
> >y/se=Hammers/va=link_image%3d/va=link_banner%3dHand%20Planes.html'
> >

> >On 'low' performance setting, I get 1.69 requests/second.
> >On 'high' performance setting, I get 1.3 requests/second.
> >
> >Doing the benchmark completely maxes out both processors to 100% during the
> >length of the test.  My question is this:  Is that normal?  It seems
> >incredibly slow for what I consider to be a pretty fast machine.
> >

> We've got a Power Macintosh G4/400 with 400MB of RAM running
> YellowDog Linux. We have the construct catalog set up with
> Interchange 4.6.5 using the built-in database.
>
> We're getting 1.14 requests per second on the same URL on our server.
> That does seem slow. We have another store running PHPShop 0.61. It's
> probably not an entirely fair comparison, but running a similar test
> on a product info page with several database queries gives 3.56 pages
> per second. This is a little unnerving, as we're about to deploy a
> couple of Interchange-based production stores.

Try the pre-fork mode in 4.7.x when you update to that. It should up
the performance 3x or more.  Remember, we also have lots of caching
strategies to do repetititive query stuff -- look at [timed-build ....].

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just
sit there." -- Will Rogers