[ic] mailman feature request: 1st question always returned

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:57:06 -0800

At 08:44 AM 3/1/2001 +0100, Hans-Joachim Leidinger wrote:
>Dan B wrote:
> >
> > Idea (due to all the FAQ asked on this list):
> >
> > The first time a new subscribe posts to the list, the post is blocked and
> > returned to sender, with the following text:
> >
> > ----
> > Before your first post can be sent to the list, you *must* research all the
> > following materials to see if you question has been asked and answered
> before:
> > 1. FAQ http://...
> > 2. Docs (searchable) http://...
> > Your first post has been returned, if you send it again it will get
> > through.  But please check if it is a FAQ.
> > ----
> >
> > If mailman has this feature already it would be nice to have turned on.  If
> > not, someone should take this to the mailman developers.
> >
> > Just a thought,
>
>Hmmm...this is a idea, but if some MV/IC-Guru has a question and didn't
>find any answer from docs, archives, etc....should he or she always post
>his questions two times?

Nah.

>Or what do you mean with "first post"?

Only the first time they have posted (only once after subscribing).  From
then on, we assume they got the message and will check those resources
first.  I've noticed that about 30-50% of the traffic is FAQ.

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com