Idea for developer's list. Was: Re: [ic] Echange en Francais,

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:41:04 -0800

At 01:57 PM 3/2/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > I was wondering if it would be a good idea to set up an
> > 'interchange-developers' list for people to discuss more advanced
> > implementations and solutions using Interchange.
>
>         The problem then is it becomes like the blind leading the
> blind.  All the
>knowledgeable users are in the devel list and everyone in the normal list is
>left helpless.
>         I think a better solution would be to use canned responses.  When
> someone
>asks a question that has been answered in the discusssion forum before, just
>reply with something like:
>
>         That issue was discussed in the mailing list previously, you can
> search the
>archive at http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/htsearch .  If you don't find
>the information you are looking for, let us know and we will try to help
>from there.
>
>         I think this would work fine for everyone involved.  I am certain
> that the
>people asking the question would have no problem checking the archive first
>(I suspect many do not know the archive exists, finding the archive search
>from developer.akopia.com is not very intuitive) and then if they still have
>a question they can post on the list again.

I agree with Jeff.  But we should also mention URL's to the searchable
documention, the PDF download URL, the FAQ, in addition to the mailing list
search.  Look at the linux-kernel mailing list.  There is no
"linux-kernel-users".  For me personally, it doesn't cause pain to have the
newbies on the list (though I've suggested ways to reduce redundant questions).

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com