[ic] Large mySQL tables kill IC startup

Ton Verhagen ton@verhagen.net
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 10:32:37 +0100

Hi All,

We have a mySQL table (subscriber) with about 5.5 million records which we
would like to integrate in an IC catalog.
Because the table is rather large we put the directive: 'NoImport
subscriber' in catalog.cfg
There is no content in the table subscriber.txt (except for the field
names) in the products directory.
Product directory also contains: subscriber.sql

Directory dbconf/mysql contains table description in subscriber.mysql with
contents:
----- Begin subscriber.mysql -----
# MiniVend database definition
Database  subscriber  subscriber.txt __SQLDSN__
#ifdef SQLUSER
Database  subscriber  USER         __SQLUSER__
#endif
#ifdef SQLPASS
Database  subscriber  PASS         __SQLPASS__
#endif
----- End subscriber.mysql -----

SQLDSN, SQLUSER, and SQLPASS are being set properly in catalog.cfg (they
work with other mySQL tables in same catalog). We have successfully used
this same table definition for a smaller table.

However, it seems that IC tries to read/import the table at startup time
and waits (hang up?) forever.

My understanding of IC is that the size of a mySQL table (when NoImport is
set) should not have any impact on the startup/configuration stage, should it?
Unfortunately, it appears that it HAS an impact! What could be wrong here?

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Ton