[ic] very slow (20 seconds) form search (MV.4.6.3)

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:32:34 -0500

Quoting sda sda (cafedvd@yahoo.com):
> When I used the following form search,
>
> <FORM ACTION="[area search]">
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchtype VALUE=sql>
> <select name="mv_search_field">
> <option value="title" selected> Titles
> <option value="actor">Cast</select>
> <INPUT MAXLENGTH=30 NAME=mv_searchspec type=text
> size=10>
> <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
>

> the response time is almost 20 seconds using mysql.
> When I checked the log file in mysql,
> I noticed that it had  'SELECT * FROM products'
> line that is responsible for the delay.
> Why is minivend generating this sql command?
> Is this a bug? Or, is there another way to
> search using form inputs?
>
> I have 36000 items in products.

How is it supposed to do a full-text search without looking at every
record, pray tell?

This is a case where if you want to do this type of search on
a database, you should have a coordinated search qualifying it
with an mv_column_op of eq to limit the initial select. (Your
current mv_column_op is right now an mv_noop, as mv_column_op
only applies in coordinated search mode.

Another thing you can do is pass the search spec to your own
custom query on the results page.

This should be discussed in a posting on the mail list -- perhaps we
can gen up an example in the new docs.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock