[ic] Performance testing: timer variable?

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:05:43 -0800

At 08:17 AM 3/9/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:33:58AM -0800, Dan B wrote:
> > I am doing some performance testing/debugging, and would love to hear
> > comments from others about this.
> >
> > A) Testing the load time (seconds) for an entire page
> >          Is 'time wget $URL' a good indicator?
> >
> > B) Testing a specific block of code?
> >          What kind of [perl] would you put in front and in back to take a
> > before and after time sample, subtract it, and give the "x.xxxx" seconds
> > passed" result?  Or another way all together?
> >
> > C) I'm also wondering how much of a difference there is between [query]
> and
> > direct SQL querying (i.e. how much does the overhead of perl, DBI, IC
> > amount to).
>
>It's not clear what you want to know or what you define as "good performance"
>in your situation.  You need to define that first.

Good point.  I'm looking for ways to measure "page display times" (when
network isn't an issue).  As far as "good performance", here's the
background info:
For hardware, we've got:
         2-way zeon 1ghz web server (1gb ram)
         4-way zeon database server (postgresql) with 4gb ram
         EMC Clariion fibrechannel SAN array

With plans to scale out the webservers and do layer-4 www clustering (and
eventually try the Pgsql clustering code).

For my application, good performance is sub-second page displays no matter
the concurrency load (1 concurrent connection or 1000+ concurrent).

Basically I'm worried about performance that I can't fix by throwing more
hardware at the problem.  I need a good way to test the performance, and
that's what I'm hoping you guys can help me discover. :)  So it seems that
it would be very valuable to test the amount of time that it takes to
execute a given block of code in an .html so that I can find what areas
need tuning the most.

But since you've piqued my interest, what are the other metrics (or
dimensions) for "performance" testing on an interchange website?  (KB
transmit size per HTTP SEND?  processor utilization maybe?  low/high
concurrency? etc?).

Thanks for your help and I appreciate the response.

-Dan