[ic] Directive ProductFiles returned default setting error

Webb, Malcolm malcolmw@upshot.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:46:27 -0800

Hi-

I'm sending this so that it will be searchable in the mail archives...

I JUST SPENT SEVERAL HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE CATALOG BUILT BY THE
MAKECAT SCRIPT WAS NOT WORKING AND HAVE THIS ADVICE...

I would advise people to NOT answer yes when prompted by the makecat script
to have a catalog run as a user other than the interchange user. I ran the
makecat script, and everything seemed to go fine. All required software
components (IC, Postgres, the CPAN Bundle::Interchange, Postgres DBI and DBD
drivers) had been installed correctly and tested prior to running makecat.

But after makecat finished, IC was unable to start my new catalog - I kept
getting this error:

Directive ProductFiles returned default setting error:
No default search file!
> In line 0 of the configuration file '':
> ActionMap ui_edit <<EOR

I searched thru the mail archives where I saw that many people had
encountered this same problem. Several fixes were suggested, but none of
them worked for me. What finally solved the problem for me? Changing the
ownership of my catalog files to run as the interchange user (interch)
allowed the catalog to start and run without errors.

So to save yourself some grief, just accept the makecat defaults.

Malcolm Webb