[ic] 4.7.1 compile problem

Jim Balcom jim@idk-enterprises.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:43:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 jojo@blackpoint.de wrote:

>>> Do they insist on Perl 5.6 for this version?
>>> This sounds like the errors I was getting when I tried to make 4.6.x work
>>> on an unacceptable version of Perl.
>>>
>>> Just for grins, I would recommend installing the latest Perl and try it
>>> again.
>>
>>I get this error too and in some case, some IC user is not able or
>>allowed to install the latest parl on FreeBSD. Any suggestions?

It is my uneducated guess that if you don't have the correct version of
Perl that there is nothing that you can say, or do, that is going to
make it work! Version 4.6.3 refused to install for me on Perl 5.004. I
moved it to a machine that had Perl 5.005 - the minimum requirement for
IC 4.6.3 to install. And, it did install. However, in the process, it
went out and got the latest version of Perl and did the complete
install for it. I just don't see any way around this.

If you are trying to install IC on a computer that you don't have root
access on, and the Perl is too old, my best recommendation would be to
contact the System Administrator and explain that you want to use a
program that requires a newer Perl than he has, and would he please
upgrade his Perl? You might offer to download the latest and greatest
for him, or maybe you have to offer to come in and clean his toilets, or
something (-: to get him to do this for you.
When I upgraded from Perl 4 to Perl 5, there were some programs that
got 'broken', and I had to keep both on the system for a while. That
may be why he hasn't upgraded. Also, he may have Perl 5 on on his
system, but under a different name - like perl5.6, or something.
But, in my mind, the simplest solution is to work with the System
Administrator of the system that is hosting you to get the situation
corrected.

If you can't get the System Administrator to upgrade his Perl, then you
need to find a different host. Perhaps one that already has an
Interchange Server running.

(Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.)

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Wednesday, March 28, 2001 at 18:15 PM:
Fact is solidified opinion

This Linux System has been up 817 hours