[ic] install akopia WITHOUT being root

Neil Lunn neillunn@gunz.com.au
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:14:24 +1000

The answer really is if **you** are allowed to run a daemon (as your uid),
you can install this software under your own home directory. The catalog,
static html and images are there also, presumably under public_html. This
requires more space.

Alternately you can have your provider load the software onto the server if
they are willing, and the catalogue and configuration remain under your own
home directory. You need the support to tell you the actual paths to these
directories again, but you install your site. The provider does a
straightforward installation of minivend. All prompted, and nothing too
dangerous. A benefit to them.

If it's within your means you could also run the interchange software and
catalogue on a different server, and then access this through inet sockets.
You probably wouldn't want to do this unless you had a server in place with
the hosting service. Back to the hosting costs.

If interchange is an option for you and you cannot arive at an agreement
with the current hosting service, look for a host that offers interchange.
You can often get SQL database access with these.

Should be enough info.

--Neil

Please Note :
Only  the intended recipient is authorised to access or use this e-mail.  If
you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this e-mail and notify the sender immediately.   The contents
of this e-mail are the writer's
opinion and are not necessarily endorsed by the Gunz Companies unless
expressly stated.

We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or
similar in any attachment.