[ic] Need clarification on license/GPL

Joachim Leidinger jojo@blackpoint.de
Sun, 06 May 2001 21:36:14 +0200

Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting interch (interch@web3.valley-internet.com):
> >

> > I am a little unclear on a few things when it comes to Interchange and the
> > GPL license, any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > I am evaluating Interchange as a platform for our company to use for
> > providing ecommerce applications and where the line is drawn as to when
> > our applications being built with interchange would fall under the GPL are
> > a little unclear to me.  In other words, I am assuming that any html
> > templates or files that are called via say Route, that execute a series of
> > Interchange tags, would not in themselves automatically be GPL.  But at
> > what point would our code snippets fall under the GPL?  What about User
> > defined tags, or a user defined tag that then overrides an existing
> > Interchange subroutine?
> >
> > Our strategy would include intentionally adding to the source code and of
> > course making that available, but part of what we wold want to do is
> > create custom templates using stock Interchange tags and features that we
> > would want to sell for profit, much like Red Hat I assume will be doing.
> >

> As long as you recognize I am not the ultimate authority anymore, here are
> my thoughts.
>
> If you don't hack the distributed software and redistribute it, you
> can do basically anything you want. Using the GlobalSub, UserTag, and
> other features to override core routines is just fine, and is even the
> recommended method in the documentation.
>
> If you clip code out of the software and use that as the basis of your
> routines, they should then be GPLed.

I'm unsure, because my englisch is not good. Which code did you mean?
The code, which is a part of the distributed software or the code, which
is a part of the GlobalSub, Usertag, and so on?

It is important for me, to know the answer.
The reason is, if I've a fine GlobalSub, UserTag and so on to get a
special fine features for MV/IC and there are a lot of user, who  need
that features. Am I allowed to get money for that features by the
GlobalSub, UserTag and so on?

Thank you for your time and answer!

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger          black point arts Internet Solutions GmbH