[ic] changing column name really changes things (trying to get frontbase t work)

Chad Leigh, Shire.Net LLC chad@shire.net
Mon, 07 May 2001 16:11:19 -0400

Hi All

I am new to this tool and am trying to get interchange to work with
FrontBase (www.frontbase.com).

I have set up a demo construct catalog.

I have set the DSN appropriately and it does log in to my database.

I get the following error because "name" is a reserved sql92 identifier:

--------------
Do you want me to start it as 'interch' now? [y]
Killing Interchange server 53179 with TERM.
Low traffic settings.
Calling UI....
...UI is loaded....
Interchange V4.6.5
Configuring catalog construct...Using PostgreSQL,
DSN=dbi:FB:dbname=construct+pwd;host=myhost.mycom.com.
perl in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer.
bad table creation statement:
create table country (
code CHAR(3) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
selector CHAR(3) NOT NULL,
shipmodes CHAR(64),
name CHAR(32) NOT NULL
)

Error: Syntax error 022. Expected ')' not found.
Syntax error 108. Expected ';' not found.
Exception 363. Transaction rollback.
---------------

So I go into dbconf/pgsql/ and find country.pgsql:

Database  country  country.txt __SQLDSN__
#ifdef SQLUSER
Database  country  USER         __SQLUSER__
#endif
#ifdef SQLPASS
Database  country  PASS         __SQLPASS__
#endif
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "code=CHAR(3) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY"
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "selector=CHAR(3) NOT NULL"
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "shipmodes=CHAR(64)"
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "name=CHAR(32) NOT NULL"
Database  country  ChopBlanks   1

I modify the
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "name=CHAR(32) NOT NULL"
line to be
Database  country  COLUMN_DEF   "cname=CHAR(32) NOT NULL"

So now when I try and restart (to finish config) I get:

--------------------------
Do you want me to start it as 'interch' now? [y]
Killing Interchange server 53179 with TERM.
Low traffic settings.
Calling UI....
...UI is loaded....
Interchange V4.6.5
Configuring catalog construct...Using PostgreSQL,
DSN=dbi:FB:dbname=construct+goShire2001;host=myhost.mycom.com.
dbname = construct+pwd/frogmorton.shire.net
perl in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer.
bad table creation statement:
create table country (
code CHAR(3) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
selector CHAR(3) NOT NULL,
shipmodes CHAR(64),
name char(128)
)

Error: Syntax error 022. Expected ')' not found.
Syntax error 108. Expected ';' not found.
Exception 363. Transaction rollback.

my "cname" got morphed into "name=char(128)"
notice it is still "name" and the CHAR(32) is now char(128) and the NOT
NULL is missing.

What did I do wrong and how do I go about changing the column name
definition?

Thanks
Chad