[ic] mysql options reqd for std RH 7.1

wayne kerrxp interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sun May 13 03:04:00 2001

Hi List,
I have a redHat 7.1 intel box intended to be a platform for
interchange-4.6.5-1.rh7.i386.rpm.
Th RedHat installation is completely standard, actually I installed
everything, and mysql and apache are started automagically on start up.
So far so good. Everything is kewl until I run makecat contruct, the I get
confused about possible options for mysql.
As follows:
<config>
Set to 1 if you want to use MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle: ..1

You can select this to use MySQL in your test catalog. Careful!
This requires the ability to create a database named "test_construct",
and is highly dependent on your Perl and MySQL configuration. Don't
be too surprised if this doesn't work.

Set to 1 if you want to use MySQL: ...............1
Database to use (will be created): ...............test_construct
DBI DSN to use: ..................................dbi:mysql:test_construct
Username for MySQL (if any): .....................
Password for MySQL (if any): .....................

We can try and use mysqladmin to create the database in
MySQL. In many default MySQL distributions, any user can create
a database beginning with "test".

Use the next option to add parameters. If your MySQL is password-protected
(and you know the password) you may want to add "-u root -p".

Set to 1 to create 'test_construct' with mysqladmin: ..1

To create the database you may need to supply a password and
username. To do that, add the option "-u USERNAME -p", where
USERNAME is a MySQL user with permission to create databases.
This is often the user "root".

Extra options for creation: ......................

You can use Interchange's companion configuration
interface, to do upload/download of files, manipulation of
the database, reconfiguration of the catalog, and much more.

To enable the UI, you will need a "super-user" account
name that has full access.

The initial password is "pass". CHANGE IT! You can do this
by going to the admin menu and selecting the superuser and
then "Change password".

Account name that will control this catalog: .....interchange
Administrative password: .........................pass

Found system commands to run.

Since you selected the MySQL option, you need to create
a database named "test_construct". In a default MySQL
configuration, any user may create and drop and modify
test_* databases, but some administrators disable this.

run "mysqladmin  create test_construct"? y
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
</config>
Oh Dear, I'm gonna read the fine mysql manual quite soon, but I have a guy
waiting for his interchange machine, and if it's available Mon morning he'll
be exstatic, if not, the opposite.