[ic] Installation Errors - Can't write uid file - plus missing files

ako pia interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Nov 2 00:34:01 2001

Hi All

I am a first-time user and installer of Interchange. I am using 4.8.2

I am first trying to install the system at the virtual level (through Telnet)
on Red Hat 6.2, and then I want to install it on a dedicated server.

I uploaded everything to /home/httpd/html/interchange-4.8.2, and then I used
Telnet and navigated to the directory.

Then, as mentioned in the README, I entered ./configure to start the install.
The script cranked away, but I got an error. So, I tried perl configure, and
the script did the same thing, and I got the same error. I did searches through
Bugzilla for Can't write uid file, but there were no results.

Here is the error in its entirety:

 Interchange Version 4.7.x Configuration

 Copyright 1996-2001 Red Hat, Inc. <interchange@redhat.com>

 Interchange was originally based on Vend 0.2 and 0.3
 Copyright 1995, 1996 Andrew M. Wilcox <awilcox@maine.com>

 Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
 See the file LICENSE for license information.

Found Perl 5.6.0 as /usr/bin/perl

If you get a CPAN error, rerun the configuration and it should go away.

Checking if your kit is complete...
Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
        dist/foundation/backup/.empty
        dist/foundation/templates/sampledata/tools/etc/before.cfg
        dist/foundation/upload/.empty
        dist/lib/UI/pages/admin/.access
        dist/lib/UI/pages/admin/reports/order/.access
        dist/lib/UI/pages/admin/reports/traffic/.access
        dist/lib/UI/pages/admin/special/.access
        dist/lib/UI/pages/admin/wizard/.access
Please inform the author.
Can't write uid file: Permission denied
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `test'.  Stop.

Would someone know what is halting the process?

I looked all around for the missing files, but they did not come with my
download. They simply do not exist. I can enter .empty (I assume that it is an
empty file), but I don't know what should go in before.cfg and .access

I also tried changing permissions, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful. This is a system that
would be great to have working.

Thanks very much for your help.