[ic] Bug in item editor regarding images

CHRIS KNIGHT interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Nov 3 17:44:35 2001

Salut All,

I've been experiencing an odd behavior with the item editor in regards to the image_large field.  Before I go into detail, let me say that I just duplicated the behavior on the RedHat live demo page.  You may want to give this a try on your system for the curiosity of it, I had been thinking it was a problem unique to my setup because I would have thought there would be mention of it in the archives.  Now I think maybe few are  using the image_large field.

Anyway...these are my observations in summary and then how you can go about seeing if your system will do the same thing.

If the thumb field is empty, and the image_large field is not empty and you use the UI item editor to go into the item and edit a field, maybe one of the descriptions or inactive or whichever one (they all have the same effect for me) click ok and the look at the fields in the item editor you will notice the value that had been in the image_large field has got up and walked into the thumb field.  If you take a look at the file in a directory listing of your image directory, the file now has zero size and also exists with a zero size in the images/thumb directory.

How I just confirmed on the live demo is..

Edit the item editor to show all three image fields next to each other and to include all three as fields to edit.
Select an item to edit and delete the thumb image by typing a blank in the field and clicking ok.
Confirm the thumb image is gone form the item listing.
Again confirm in the item editor item listing that this is done. ( side note here that the path  that is uploaded won't actually work to display on image)
Notice in the item editor the value you uploaded is now in the previously empty thumb field.

I suppose if you don't use large images this won't bug you much, but I wrote a script to display the large image from the flypage if the customer clicks a little href that was working fine and then we noticed that some times it was now not working and on investigation I found that anytime someone edited an item it killed the large image.

I am of course curious to know if others will find this same behavior on their systems and honestly even more curious to know how to fix this.

TIA
Merci,
Chris