[ic] Credit Card Info

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Nov 4 15:46:00 2001

> I remember the days when IC didn't encrypt credit card info
> at all - I am sure Credit Card process companies were dying
> to use this as an excuse to stop peoples accounts back then !!??

I can't seem to recall those days, was it perchance during the 70's
pot-smoking years?

I don't think the problem is with Interchange, because the interface
between IC and PGP/GPG is so simple and easy to setup (especially in
4.8) that you can't possiblely be referring to that.  Rather, I think it
is the setup of PGP/GPG itself and the client system, as well as making
sure it is running in the right user environment and EUID for IC, etc.
And for that, GPG has some really good documentation (even a howto for
installing without root on a virtual host!).  But most people can't be
bothered with learning an additional piece of software, I guess.

Therefore, I think the point is to go out and learn about GPG/PGP (ask
their mailing list why there is no "encryption for dummies") and get
that working, then come back here and ask, "how do I hook my working
encryption up with IC?".

That said, I wouldn't mind if someone were to take that plethora of
GPG/PGP documentation (both server and client side) and create the
"encryption for dummies" type installation howto.  That would probably
be a long document since there are so many different scenarios
(different OS, different PGP/GPG versions, virtual hosts, different
client PGP versions, different client email versions, etc., etc., et.
al.).  IMHO,

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies