[ic] Credit Card Info

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 13:00:01 2001

> I wrote this list several time about quite a few issues with
> no answers from anyone. I finally had to email someone
> off-list who I judged to be knowledgeable by reading his
> input to others and he pointed me in the right direction.
> Some people on this list knew how to work around this issue
> and simply didn't post a solution( including those at RH most
> familiar with IC.) This feature was not forced in any
> previous releases prior to 4.7 - 4.8.
>
> Something that could've been resolved in ten minutes took
> days because no one stepped forward to present the solution
> or a direction to a solution. That cost me time and money. IC
> represents less than 10% of my income as a consultant and
> when I have to dig this hard to get a simple answer its
> nothing but discouraging. By the way, thank you Randy, for
> stepping up when others at RH wouldn't. If I can ever return
> the favor, just ask.
>
> Why flame developers for choosing not to use encryption where
> its not needed. Warning them is wise and good. Calling them
> stupid is wrong. You use IC your way and we'll use it ours.
> That's called open source. Thanks for your advice and
> experience. I know you contribute a lot here. Let's not
> resort to using this list in a way that belittles or
> discourages people. That takes away from RH and IC.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> --------------------------
> Robert Trembath

It really gets my goat when people get disappointed (or angry) that they
didn't get their question answered on the list.  I would understand if
they were ranting that after paying a hefty license fee you weren't
getting any support, but last time I checked, interchange-users wasn't
for paid support.

Here is how I often explain it:

Commercial software = pay for the license, get free support (sometimes
not even that)

Open Source software = pay nothing for the license, pay for the support
(but sometimes you get free support on the list)

But the funny part is that no matter how disappointed they get, it wont
make anyone any more likely to offer more free consulting/help on the
list.  I know you must already understand that Robert, so why are you
ranting?

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies