[ic] Scalability of IC

Sun Nov 11 20:53:01 2001

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 cfm@maine.com wrote:

>>On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:01:46PM -0500, Michael Stearne wrote:
>>> I have a client that wants to implement IC for their on-line retail
>>> presence.  In your opinion (experienced MV/IC users) could IC eventually
>>> be used to replace their in-house inventory system.  The current system
>>> handles around 10,000 items selling clothing to the public and
>>> wholesale.  I guess the major issue woulod be the accounting
>>> functionality that IC does/does not offer.  Would Interchange be good
>>> enough to run an entire meduim sized business on?
>>>
>>> I know this is a very vague and subjective question, but I am really
>>> just looking for thoughts.
>>
>>No; it's not designed for that sort of thing.  You could reinvent all
>>the wheels if you want.  If you do reinvent all the wheels, you'll
>>find a web interface is too slow for real productivity.  Typically one
>>would glue IC to something designed for inventory/accounting, either
>>live or batch.

This kind of thing comes back to the Windows vs (L/U)nix thing.

Windows wants to have an integrated package that does a lot of things all at
once. Outlook Express is an example of this. It has it's own mail 'fetcher'
it's own mail reader, and it's own editor for answering/writing e-mail, all
in one package with no options for changing any of them.

In my configuration of Linux, I am using sendmail to send and receive mail.
I am using Pine to read mail. And when I write mail, I use Joe as my editor.

Unix/Linux has the philosphy of one task for one program.

Trying to have IC handle all of these other functions kind of defeats all of
this, and as you quite correctly say, would drastically slow the whole thing
down.

IC is a program for selling stuff via e-commerce. Let's stick to that and
continue to do that one thing very well.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Sunday, November 11, 2001 at 20:45 PM:
Disc space - the final frontier!

This Linux System has been up 0 hours