[ic] Installing mysql libraries w/o root

Patrick J. Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 00:45:18 2001

Perl experts:

    I would like to move my databases from gdbm to mysql.  However, I do not
have root access on the server where our catalog is located.  This script:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBI;
use DBD::mysql;

    produces this error:

Can't load
'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so' for
module DBD::mysql:
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so: undefined
symbol: uncompress at /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line
169.

 at ./tmp.perl line 4

    I presume that the fix for this is to install the latest DBD::mysql, but
since I'm not root, perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::mysql' produces errors.
Assuming that I need to install this, what's the best way to install it in
my home directory and then what do I do to Interchange to get it to use my
copy of DBD::mysql instead of the system copy?  (Remember that I don't have
access to Interchange's source code on this server).

    Any help appreciated.

..Patrick