[ic] bug: 4.8.2 admin UI new super-users cannot edit tablesf

Bob Ramstad interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Nov 17 16:03:00 2001

I was able to reproduce this on http://demo.interchange.redhat.com
very easily.

Login as the super-user "demo" (or on a default 4.8.2 as "interch"),
Click on Administration in the dark grey bar and note that as the
super-user specified at makecat time, all the database tables are
listed at the bottom of the page.  Click on Tables in the lighter grey
bar and note that all tables are listed.  Click on one of them to
edit, it should come up.  So far, so good.

Now, create a new super-user account by clicking on Access in the
lighter grey bar, then Create new user.  Fill out the form.  Click on
Apply changes.  Log out.

account.  If you visit Administration, tables are not listed at the
bottom of the main page.  Tables brings up an empty list.

There are many reports of this problem in the mailing list archives.
The suggested solutions -- upgrading software, deleting .gdbm files,
among other things -- didn't work for me.  Imagine my surprise that
the demo site has the same problem!

The obvious workaround is to only have "interch" be the super user and
just change the password.  Not great for security, but it'll work for
now.

Again, I hate to flog a dead horse here, and I especially hate doing
it when I don't have a patch for the problem, but this is a great
example of something a newbie might want to do, and obviously newbies
have been running into this left and right judging from the archives.

If I get sophisticated enough to offer a solution, I'll send it
along.  Obviously the problem must lie in the UI, probably somewhere
"interch" is hard coded instead of looking for the super-user bit set.

-- Bob