[ic] Testing maximal connects

Fri Nov 30 17:52:01 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Thomas Dan Otto wrote:

TDO>>I want to know, how much people can use the shop in the same time and
TDO>>then how the performance is.

An unlimited number of people (almost) can use the store at the same time.

Performance is dependent on the speed of the computer(s) you are using and
the bandwidth of your connection.

TDO>>But I got a problem:
TDO>>When i.e. 15 people work on the shop, the basket is empty, when I want
TDO>>to pay - why?

I don't see what this has to do with performance, but possibly you don't
have cookies enabled.

TDO>>(To simulate the test, I write a perl script, that reads out the first
TDO>>page, sleep two seconds, and then reread the first page and that 15
TDO>>scripts parallel)

That's not a fair test!

The users are going to download a page. Sometimes they click on to the next
page, but many times they are going to pause to read the page that they are
on. And sometimes that page sits there while they go to get a beer, or get
rid of a beer.

It's also going to depend on the speed of their connection to your store. A
dozen people connected via 56k modems will get served in a shared mode. Feed
a little to user A until his stream is full, feed to user B until his stream
is full, user C, user D, etc, and then go back to see who is ready for some
more. This is also going to depend on the lag time across the internet
between each user and your store.

I monitor such things with MRTG to keep track of loading.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Friday, November 30, 2001 at 17:40 PM:
If God wanted us to do Hex we'd have 16 fingers

This Linux System has been up 122 hours