[ic] Cookies and IE6

Mon Oct 1 00:05:01 2001

Quoting Stefan Schwedt (schwedt@iucon.de):
> Hi all,
>
> you probably heard before, that the Internet Explorer 6 has now implemented
> a new feature of the W3C. It is called "privacy policy" and restricts the
> setting of cookies (also interchange-cookies are blocked).
>
> If you try to set a cookie via JavaScript, it is always accepted. Also other
> cookies, that come directly from a html-page won't be refused.
> Interchange uses the HTTP-header to set it's cookies. In that case, there
> must be another information in the HTTP-header that points to the privacy
> policy of the server.

This is quite ludicrous on Microsoft's part, at least in my opinion.
Interchange's default cookies have no expiration date and should never
be saved to disk. I could see requiring a privacy policy if the cookie
would return upon browser restart.

If you tell me what the header is, we can put in some code which sets
it; perhaps we can add it to the Vend::Track module. I suppose we have
to handle Microsoft even though I think it is misguided to require a
privacy policy on a volatile cookie.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".